What to do after a Road Traffic Accident *
Sankey McGrath Solicitors set out the below step by step guide to what to do after a road traffic accident. At all times it should be remembered that your health is paramount and is the first thing you need to attend to after a road traffic accident.
1. Report the acccident to the Gardai. Do not move your vehicles unless directed to do so by the Gardai.
2. Take details from the other driver including name, insurance, registration number
3. Take details from any witnesses
4. Don’t admit liability . Often it is a condition of an insurance policy not to admit liablity following an accident and so it is wise not to admit liability in case your policy is invalidated.
5. Wait for the Gardai to arrive to speak to both drivers.
6. If you are injured you need to attend at your GP or A & E for treatment.
* In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with Reg.8 of SI 518 of 2002.